Sample Amount: Submit 300-500 g of dried and ground sample. Five (5) mL per element is required for samples submitted in extract form. N & C require one (1) gram of finely powdered soil (to pass through a 60 mesh sieve).
Soil Preparation: Air or oven-dry soil at 35-55°C (the Lab oven dries at 40°C). Grind to pass through a 2 mm sieve. Analysis for N, C, TKN and "total" metal analysis require grinding to pass through a 60 mesh screen.
Containers: Submit samples in pint-size plastic containers or in bags (plastic or paper).
Sodium Adsorption Ratio and Exchangeable Sodium Percent are calculations derived from analysis of Ca, Mg and Na.
For N and C by combustion (Carlo-Erba), 1 gram of sample material needs to be finely ground to pass through a 60 mesh sieve.
To determine available N-P-K on California soils, we normally analyze for NO3-N, Olsen-P and Exchangeable K.
- 200 — Saturated Paste and Saturation Percentage
- 205 — Soil pH
- 210 — pH of a 1 + 10 Soil Suspension
- 215 — Estimated Soluble Salts (ECe)
- 220 — Bicarbonate and Carbonate in Saturated Paste Extract
- 227 — Chloride in Saturated Paste Extract - Flow Injection Analyzer Method
- 235 — Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Boron and Sulfate-Sulfur in Saturated Paste Extract
- 240 — SAR (Sodium Adsorption Ratio) and ESP (Exchangeable Sodium Percentage)
- 312 — Soil Nitrate and Extractable Ammonium-Flow Injection Analyzer Method
- 315 — Total Kjeldahl Nitrogen (TKN)
- 320 — Total Nitrogen and Carbon - Combustion Method
- 322 — Total Organic Carbon - Combustion Method
- 330 — Sulfate - Sulfur
- 340 — Extractable Phosphorus - Olsen Method
- 355 — Extractable Phosphorus - Bray Method
- 360 — Exchangeable Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium and Estimated Cation Exchange Capacity
- 370 — Potassium -Sulfuric Acid Extraction
- 380 — Extractable Micronutrients using DTPA Extraction - Zinc, Manganese, Copper, and Iron
- 390 — Total Elements (includes Phosphorus, Zinc, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Molybdenum, Cadmium, Chromium, Lead and Nickel)
- 392 — KCL Extractable Aluminum
- 394 — Selenium
- 396 — Arsenic
- 410 — Organic Matter - Walkley-Black Method
- 415 — Organic Matter - Loss On Ignition Method
- 420 — Gypsum Content
- 430 — Cation Exchange Capacity
- 440 — Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Carbonate Equivalent
- 450 — Lime Requirement
- 460 — Moisture Retention
- 470 — Particle Size Analysis
- 480 — Bulk Density
- 490 — Phosopholipid Fatty Acids (PLFA)