You are here: Home / About Us

About Us

The UC Davis Analytical Laboratory is a core support facility of the UC Davis College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences.

captionThe laboratory performs analyses on selected chemical constituents of soil, plant, water and waste water, and feed in support of agricultural and environmental research and UC Cooperative Extension activities. Analytical Laboratory clients are University of California academics, other educational institutions, government agencies, and research-based businesses.

In addition to analytical services, the Laboratory provides project assistance in the areas of analytical, agricultural and environmental chemistry. The Laboratory has an educational role, providing training to students and researchers in the operation of a number of analytical methods and instruments.

Lab History

    • The Analytical Laboratory was first established in 1950 at UC Berkeley
    • An additional laboratory was opened at UC Riverside in 1954
    • The Lab was relocated from Berkeley to the Davis campus in 1959
    • The Riverside laboratory was consolidated into the Davis laboratory in 1990
    • The Lab became a self-supporting program under the UC Davis College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences in 2010

Location and Facilities

The UC Davis Analytical Laboratory is located in Hoagland Hall on the Davis campus of the University of California. The Receiving Department is located in Hoagland Annex. Both are easily reached via Parking Lot #27.

    • Administrative Offices - Room 224, Hoagland Hall, 530-752-0147, anlab@ucdavis.edu
    • Main Laboratory Area - Room 213, Hoagland Hall
    • Sample Receiving Area - Hoagland Annex, 530-752-0266

Laboratory Staffing

    • Dirk Holstege, Director
    • David Benning, Programmer
    • Gary Chan, Receiving Manager
    • Traci Francis, Laboratory Supervisor
    • Kelly Gardner, Chemist
    • Leah Montez, Administrative Assistant
    • Rani Youngman, Chemist